First Pres History
First Presbyterian Church of Salisbury was founded on August 1, 1821. Many renovations and changes have occurred throughout the years, but our unity in faith has never altered. We are located in Salisbury's Historic West End Square district and are proud of our heritage and our community.
Presbyterians affirm that God comes to us with grace and love in the person of Jesus Christ, who lived, died, and rose for us so that we might have eternal and abundant life in him. As Christ’s disciples, called to ministry in his name, we seek to continue his mission of teaching the truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, giving us the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to be Christ’s faithful disciples in the world.
The word Presbyterian refers to the governmental structure of the church, led by Presbyters (from New Testament Greek meaning Elders). Ruling Elders provide the spiritual leadership of the church. We also have a board of Deacons to provide care for the members and the community.
Where God’s Love is Alive for Mission